Thursday, January 7, 2010

CF - Chapter Two: My Inner Cashier

"So, how was school?" Charlie asked the moment I opened the passenger door.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Well, they're all… very welcoming."

"Did something happen?"

I shook my head. "It's fine. Just the norm." I quickly changed the subject. "Where's mom?"

Charlie knew when to let things lie. "Oh, she's at the store. I dropped her there this morning. She wanted to familiarize herself with the place and staff. You know, jump right on in."

Even after being together nearly twenty years, my parents were still so much in love. Charlie wasn't one to show emotion often, completely opposite my mother, but you knew when he loved you. You could see it written clearly upon his face.

I chuckled. "Yeah, that sounds like mom."

He glanced at me from the corner of his eye, half smile upon his lips. "You still interested in that car, because I think I may have found the perfect one?"


"Wow," I murmured. "It's so… red."

Charlie laughed. "She's a beauty, isn't she?"

Was he being sarcastic right now?

"How old is this thing, anyway?" I asked, mainly because I wasn't positive it had enough juice to leave Billy Black's front yard let alone get me back and forth to school.

"It's a 1953," Billy answered, quickly adding, "But she runs good. My son, Jake, is a master mechanic and he takes care of her himself. She's current on her tune-ups, so you won't need to worry about her falling apart any time soon."

You could tell the man was proud of his son's mechanical expertise. And what was it with guy's referring to their cars as he or she? I never understood it.

"I doubt that," I mumbled under my breath.

"What's that?" Charlie's eyes narrowed as he looked at me, waiting for my response.

"Uh, I said that's great." I had to turn away, lest he see the lie upon my face in the form of a traitorous blush. Damn traitorous, blush inducing adenylyl cyclase.

He either chose to ignore my under breath burst, because it wasn't an outburst, or he believed me. Either way, his attention was on discussing the red bomb we were standing next to.

"So how much?"

"I was asking fifteen."

"For this?" I blurted out before thinking.

Charlie frowned at me before looking back at Billy again. "You willing to go lower than that? She isn't exactly in her prime."

"No, but she's a classic," Billy clarified. "Well, what's your offer?"

"Seven."

Billy shook his head. "That's less than half of what I'm asking."

"Alright, eight then."

"Eight-fifty and you have yourself a deal."

"You drive a hard bargain, but we'll take it."

I was now the proud owner of a 1953 red Chevy bomb.


As we pulled into the store parking lot, I in my parent's car and my dad in my not so new truck, I noticed the place was thriving for such a small town. It was a good thing, though. That's what I kept telling myself. Good business meant a better income, and that meant less debt for my parents.

Charlie met me at the driver's side door of his car. "I think we should go ahead and do an oil change, maybe get some new tires before you start driving it regularly."

"Okay." was all I said.

I wasn't sure what I expected when I walked inside, maybe just a grocery store, but it kind of reminded me of a smaller version of Target or Walmart. As soon as you entered the electric doors, carts were lined up against a divider in three aisles to the right of where you walked. After you rounded the carts, straight ahead to the left were five checking lanes, all but one equipped with a cashier. And to the left of the lanes was a small stairwell that sat nestled against and led up to a mostly glass covered room that looked out upon the store. If I had to guess, I would say it's where the manager spent most of his/her day.

Directly behind me was the Customer Support counter. Two girls were standing awkwardly against the counter, chatting as they waited for customers. I briefly scanned the aisles, finding one half was the food section and the other held a miniscule portion of clothing, essentials and a few electronics. It certainly wasn't grand, but there was enough there to get people by in a pinch. And as far as food, there wasn't anything you needed that wasn't here because that was what the majority of the store contained.

"Not so bad, heh?" Charlie said, coming up behind me. "It's not very big, but it does get plenty of business. Before Bart had this place built, there was only one small grocery store here."

I shrugged. "Yeah, it's not so bad. Is mom up there?" I pointed toward the glass encased room.

"Probably."

We started for the room and had just made it to the steps when Renee started down them. "Hey, you two."

"How's things going here?" Charlie asked, looking around.

"Good," she smiled. "We had one cashier quit yesterday, so I need to fill that position right away, but things are good."

"You got one right here." I spun around to face my dad, wondering who he was talking about. It was obviously me because that's where his eyes were focused.

"Why me?"

"Did you or did you not say before we moved that you wanted a job?"

"Uh… yeah."

"Exactly. This place needs a cashier and you need a job."

"Yeah, but when I said I needed a job, I meant getting paid to do it."

"And who says you wouldn't get paid?" Renee questioned.

"I just thought that-"

"You'd be paid just like all the other employees are," Charlie explained. "It'll help teach you responsibility." I scoffed at this comment because I was probably the most responsible seventeen year old I knew. "Don't give me attitude, Bella."

"I wasn't," I responded defensively. "But you act as if I'm not responsible."

"I was meaning financially," he clarified. "You don't have that experience, and working will help you learn financial responsibility because you'll be responsible for maintaining half of your vehicle cost and the gas you use."

"There goes my entire paycheck," I teased.

Charlie shook his head, glaring at me. "Not funny."

Renee seized the moment to interrupt, mostly to calm the situation before it escalated. "Did you end up finding a vehicle for Bella?"

Charlie smiled proudly. "I did. The man asked for fifteen hundred, but I suckered him down to eight-fifty."

I laughed at this. There was some suckering alright, and Charlie was not the one doing it.

Charlie's expression turned perplexed. "What's so funny?"

I chuckled, patting him on the back. "Nothing, Dad."

He shook his head, then asked Renee if she wanted to see the truck. She accepted, and when I made no move to follow, they asked if I was tagging along. I declined, saying I wanted to familiarize myself with my new place of employment. They accepted, and I began my venture through the store.

I walked the main aisle, scanning the others as I moved. I noticed midway through the building a metal door at the back wall. I figured now that I was an employee and the place was owned by my parents, I was free to go back there.

And so I did.

I pushed through the door, entering what looked like a mini warehouse. The floors were cemented and there were quite a few shelves lined with items that were inside the store. A box compactor sat to the right of the doorway, but there wasn't much else on that side, so I turned to the left, passing more shelves and boxes that littered the ground in front of them. It wasn't exactly messy, but you could tell a delivery had been made today.

At the end of the walkway was a small hallway to the right. But just before you reached the hallway, you came upon the time clock – which was stationed right beside the break room.

I was curious as to what was down the hallway, so I continued on. There were two doors on either side, one being a utility closet and the other an employee restroom.

I was just turning around, getting ready to make my way out of the backroom and back into the store when I heard a female whimper coming from the utility closet. I halted my stepping, unsure if I'd actually heard the noise or not. But more importantly, I was curious as to why the hell someone would be inside a utility closet crying. It made more sense to do that shit in the bathroom, but whatever.

A couple minutes later and when I was to the point I thought I imagined the sound, I heard it again. Now I had to make a choice. Do I open that door and see who was inside, or do I pretend I didn't hear them? I had no idea why they'd be in there or what their reaction would be if I barged in on them. But finally, when I heard the sound for a third time, I decided to see if they needed help or something.

I reached the handle, turning it gently because I didn't want to startle the person. It gave way easily, and I pulled the door open. The moment I looked inside, I wanted to take back the notion of even considering looking inside.

At first I was paralyzed, other than my mouth hanging open and my eyes bugging out of my head. But when the heat of embarrassment/mortification rushed my body, it was enough to jar me into mobility. "What the… what the-" I couldn't even finish the words I was so shocked and repulsed.

What I'd heard had not been whimpering, it had been moaning. There inside that closet was none other than the boy from my Biology class and a strawberry blonde kneeled before him, giving him a blowjob. His hands were gripping her hair, but they pulled tighter the moment his eyes met mine. And the lust that overcast his eyes morphed to anger.

I quickly slammed the door, not even sure what to do next. I stood there a few seconds, blinking perpetually, trying to rationalize what I just saw. What the hell? I was shocked, yes. I mean, who does that sort of thing in the utility closet of a store… my parent's store? I had to tell Renee and Charlie.

I forced myself to move, nearly tripping over my feet as my stepping progressed. I'd just rounded the corner, heading back toward the door leading into the store, when I felt a hand grasp my upper arm roughly, yanking me back, then spinning me around. I found myself looking into those green eyes again, seeing so much anger within them and it was all directed at me.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" he raged. "Don't you know how to fucking knock?"

Because, of course, people tend to have oral sex in utility closets and deserve the respect of a knock.

My mind rationalized the absurdity of his question, but the more I stared at him, into those eyes, the weaker I became. My throat felt constricted by the animosity seeping through his touch and blazing within his eyes. I tried to speak, to do something to deflect the hatred pouring off him, but I could only stutter words. "I… I thought-"

I saw the strawberry blonde scurry past us through my peripherals, and I tried to full on look at her, to plead with her to do something, but I couldn't look away from those eyes. They were so piercing, scorching like liquid fire and as unfathomable as the deepest pit.

He was waiting for my response, and I tried, but failed miserably. He exhaled in aggravation, and his warm breath whispered across my face, electrifying my flesh and forming goosebumps. I didn't like him, not at all, but I wondered how someone's breath was able to cause such a reaction. Was it because of his anger? And in wondering, I found myself staring at his mouth.

He caught me, and I watched his lips turn up on one side. When I glanced back up, the anger was still present, though not as bone crushing, but was now accompanied by a devious smirk. He stepped closer, situating his face inches from mine, holding my eyes in place with his. I could smell him now. He smelt like cotton candy and guy mixed. It was strange, but familiar somehow. I couldn't place why, though.

"I get it. You like what you saw, don't you?" The smirk upon his face grew. "You want to suck my cock, too." His tone and the way he formulated the words made it obvious his statement was not a question. Smug bastard.

It was only after his vulgarity that I was finally able to speak because I was pissed. How dare he talk to me like that?

"You're disgusting," I spat.

"And you interrupted me coming."

"Let go of my arm," I growled.

I yanked my arm free and shoved at his chest to move him, but he wouldn't budge. He had to see how angry I was now, but I think he liked it. I think he liked goading me.

"Move," I seethed.

He took another step in my direction, nearly pressing his body against mine. He bent forward, his mouth grazing my ear, causing me to shiver as he whispered, "I hate working here, but I have to be here. If you think I'm going to let you fuck me over and get me fired you're mistaken, runt. You open your mouth about what you saw, and I promise you that anything shitty you've endured before now will look mild compared to the hell I'll put you through."

Each word was as cutting as a knife slicing effortlessly through my skin, leaving jagged tears that wouldn't heal. I had no doubt he'd make good on his promise.

My steeled composure was now trembling with fear. Tears stung the corner of my eyes, and I clamped down on the inside of my cheek, praying I could at least hold those back. I'd already revealed fear by my trembling form. I didn't want to give him my tears too.

He stepped back, once again paralyzing me with that cold stare. "We clear?" All I could do was blink in response. "I'll take that as a yes." And then it was like he went bi-polar or shifted personalities. He smiled, then said before leaving me standing there a crippled mess, "You enjoy the rest of your day."


I'd barely slept, haunted by nightmares of burning green eyes and hateful words that decimated me piece by piece. It was stupid to think he was that powerful, but it didn't negate the fear my nightmares stirred. Anything was possible through imagination.

I had struggled to keep myself together, to hold back that I wasn't okay after leaving that backroom. I hardened my spine, keeping my head held high as I entered the store. I averted my eyes to anything but what was ahead of me, yet I knew he was watching me, waiting for me to buckle. He'd already gotten enough satisfaction from my fear to last a lifetime. I wouldn't do it, not again.

And under the circumstances, I was doing rather well, but Charlie and Renee still mentioned that I seemed off, too quiet. The quiet got worse when Renee mentioned I'd start working at the store the following night. I, of course, blamed my lack of conversation and enthusiasm on being tired, which seemed to make sense to them with everything that happened over the last few days.

I excused myself to bed early after barely touching dinner and lay in bed, eyes scouring the ceiling, counting the dips and cracks, wondering how someone could he so damn mean. Was he just that way, or had something happened to him to make him such a prick? Regardless, in my eyes, there was no excuse.

It wasn't until around three in the morning that my body finally gave in to sleep, but it was nothing but restless.

I had to pep talk myself into getting up in the morning and going to school. I was tired, I was anxious and I just wanted to go back to Phoenix. I took a shower and got dressed, then brushed my hair, leaving it down in waves that ended at the middle of my back. I took my Cyclosporin pill – it was taken to control rejection of my new heart by reducing the strength of my immune system - and headed downstairs with my bag. I put on a happy face for Charlie and Renee's benefit, then headed out to my parent's car. I found out Charlie was taking the red bomb for an oil and tire change this morning.

I endured another mental pep talk just to make myself get out of the car when we pulled into the school parking lot. I was full of pep talking today. I faked a smile for Charlie as I climbed out of the car and kept my hair curtained around my face as I moved toward the school doors. Of course this caused me to nearly run into people and objects on the way, but I managed to make it to the doors relatively unscathed and without seeing the green-eyed monster – who I learned from one of the cashiers at my parent's store was named Edward. I never found out a last name.

I dozed off through first class, my hair blanketed around my face still – falling asleep in class was something I never did, but it helped to pass the time. When class ended, I hurried to my locker and grabbed what I needed for Government.

I was doing good so far, though I was very much on edge. There were no run-ins with Edward. I hurried to class, seating myself at my desk. And just like the day before, I heard the loud guffaws of Emmett, who was chatting with Jasper and… Edward? What the hell? Edward was in this class? How had I not noticed him yesterday?

The figurative storm clouds over my head parted enough for sonar to spring out my ass, traveling at the speed of light directly to him, screaming out my location. His eyes immediately found me. Would I ever catch a break?

I tried not to squirm at the intensity in which he was looking at me, but it was not a feat I managed well. He saw my discomfort, causing him to smirk at me - that made me want to stab him with a fork. Obviously, my brain and body were not on the same page in response to him.

I was finally granted a minor reprieve when he took his seat, which thankfully was on the other side of the room. But I could still feel him watching me occasionally, and I knew why he was doing it. I also knew he knew that I was aware he was doing it.

Unfortunately, Government dragged, making me feel like I was sitting in a tiny room alone with him, suffocating for an eternity.

Stupidly, when there was just five minutes left of class, I chanced a glance in his direction, figuring he wouldn't see me if I stayed far enough behind my hair. I had no clue why I did this, other than I must be masochistic. I tried to be nonchalant about it, but that didn't work at all because he was staring at me and saw when I took a peek, giving his usual reaction… a smirk. God, he pissed me off.

Class ended and he was one of the first out the door. I was afraid to leave, thinking he might be waiting for me. He wasn't, and I was glad about that.

The rest of my classes up until lunch were easy enough. It helped that Edward wasn't in them. I attempted hiding at one point in Trig, but that did not go over with Alice. I didn't even bother trying to hide in Spanish. She might have thrown one of her Jimmy Choos at me. So I talked to her when we had free time and took notes and worked when we didn't.

I stopped at my locker after Spanish, Alice in tow, to drop off my books. I followed her to her locker so she could do the same, then we headed to lunch. Alice's infectious laughter and continuous conversation lightened my mood, so I was feeling comfortable enough when we entered the cafeteria and grabbed food.

We were first at the table, the others showing up after. I'd just taken a sip of my juice when Alice started talking about the Sweetheart Dance.

"I can't believe it's in ten days," she sang. "Are you gonna go?"

"Uh… no." I shook my head. "I don't really dance."

She rolled her eyes. "It's not hard to learn. And slow dancing, you basically stand in one place and sway your hips."

"Trust me," I laughed. "You don't want to be in the vicinity of me swaying anything."

She giggled, popping a grape in her mouth.

Lunch was halfway over and we were still lost in conversation. She even invited me to tag along with her to get last minute accessories she needed for her dress. I wasn't one for shopping too often, but it was nice being asked.

Lunch went smoothly, but it ended too soon. I tried to delay the inevitable, going to Biology, but I was never one to get into trouble in school, and being late would no doubt get me in trouble. I moved as slow as I could afford, but was still left with two minutes to spare. Apparently, I hadn't moved slow enough.

Edward was not at the lab table when I walked in, but I'd already had sweaty palms from the anxiety working its way through my body. I hated the idea of sitting next to him.

He managed to walk through the door just as the bell rang. Mr. Banner gave him the stink eye, but didn't reprimand him. I anticipated the worst when he sat down, but not one time did he look at me or say a word. Not once.

We had a lab on mitosis, which he did not participate in, at least not with me. We were supposed to be partnered up, but he made no effort to do so – not that I minded not working with him - so I answered the questions on my own, barely getting finished in time because he refused to share the allium root tip slide and microscope until he was done with them. And I was positive he never actually did the work.

Gym consisted of a bloody nose, not mine, but the girl that was victim of my attempt to play dodge ball. I ended up being benched for the safety of the rest of the class.

When the bell rang, I stopped at my locker, grabbing all my homework, and met Charlie out in the parking lot.

He was driving the red bomb.

When I climbed inside, he asked how my day was and if I'd noticed the new tires. I hadn't, in fact, noticed the tires, but I promised to look at them when we got home. He reminded me that I started work today, and I'd really only have enough time to go home, do my homework if I was quick, change and grab a snack before we had to leave. I wasn't really hungry, so I changed into black slacks and a white turtleneck that was paired with a white collared shirt over it, then did my Trig and English homework.

Renee and the store manager, Paula, were waiting for me in the office overlooking the front of the store when I arrived. They went into detail what was expected of me, what my job entailed, what was acceptable and not acceptable behavior. I, of course, thought back to Edward and the blonde in the utility closet during the acceptable and unacceptable speech. If my mother only knew the truth of what happened in her precious store behind her back.

She made it clear that I was in no uncertain terms to call her mom while working. This was business and I was to address her as Renee. That wasn't a difficult task, considering that's how I usually addressed her mentally anyway.

I was then introduced to the cashiers; Kelly, Jane, Nancy and Tanya. I recognized Tanya immediately.

So that's what strawberry blonde looks like without a dick in her mouth.

Renee took me on a tour of the place, not that I hadn't seen more than enough of it already, but I went along willingly. I also met two of the stockers, Bill and Matt.

Once the tour was over, I followed Renee back up to the front of the store. I was under the impression that I'd be immediately placed at the register. However, this was not the case. I was told that Higgenbotham Store cashiers were the first and last people that a customer saw when they entered the store, and it was very important they were educated as to where everything was located. So for the next three days, I'd be working the floor with another employee to familiarize myself as to where everything was. I was not happy about this, but what could I do about it?

Paula and I were just heading out of the office with the intention of her handing me off to one of the floor workers when Edward walked in.

"You're late, Edward," she barked.

"I showed up, didn't I?" He was obviously an ass to everyone and not just me. Somehow I felt relieved by this.

"Yeah, and you showed up late." Her right hand landed on her hip, head bobbing side to side as she ranted. "You know the rules. You're to be here on time. One more strike, Edward, and you're gone. You know what that means."

The grinding of his teeth and the reddening of his cheeks gave away his anger, but that was the only thing that gave it away. Somehow he managed to suppress that hateful tongue. She quickly introduced us, though I already knew his first name and he knew mine. But I nearly shit myself when I learned he was a Cullen. My God, did I pity Alice.

"Seeing as you chose to be late today, you're now the proud recipient of training Bella on the floor for the next three days."

"What!" Edward and I screeched simultaneously, both of us glaring at Paula. Was she insane?

Not only was I unable to get away from this guy at school, I had to deal with him at work, too. And much to my dismay, it would be one-on-one for the next three days.

What the hell had I done in a previous life to deserve this shit?


0 comments: