Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 10: Labyrinth (teaser)

I tried to understand the sensation as I glided my fingertips across my bottom lip. It was unlike anything I’d ever felt before. It definitely felt like an electrical current or something of equal power, but it wasn’t painful. On the contrary, it was warm and intoxicating, like heated silk whispering along my skin. How I managed to feel that by sharing a touch with someone was beyond me.


Edward’s gasp interrupted my reverie, so I glanced up, meeting shocked eyes. I instantly froze, terrified that whatever happened between us in that touch would set him back, that I’d lose the ground I’d gained with him. “I’m…uh…sorry.” I ended up blurting out the first thing that came to mind, and it certainly wasn’t that articulate.

Apologizing may not have been the right approach, but it wasn’t as if I really knew what approach to take. I was flying completely blind here. But my apology didn’t seem to ease his tension, so I took a deep breath, doing the one thing I could think of, I told him the truth…sort of. “It’s okay, Edward, that was just a static shock. It happens sometimes when people touch each other or touch something metal. It happens to me every now and then when I grab onto a door knob.” He seemed to ease moderately, but there was something that passed within his eyes, something fleeting that I couldn’t name, but my heart definitely reacted to it.

0 comments: