Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 13: Discern (teaser)

We remained in the doorway, standing on the threshold between his hallway and the boiler room, unspoken but holding onto one another. I never loosened my grip on his trembling form. If anything, I tightened it further. But now, I was feeling a little bit selfish here because I didn’t want to let him go…ever. I would gladly stand in this very spot for eternity, endure unspeakable leg cramps and discomfort, just to hold him, just to feel this…whatever it was. And I felt guilty for it, for feeling this way because it shouldn’t feel this right, and he certainly couldn’t reciprocate. That wasn’t a possibility, and I was angry at myself for allowing this feeling to creep up on me, for needing it, even if I didn’t quite understand it – which only served to add frustration to the many emotions enveloping my body now.

But he pressed his face further into my hair as he wrapped his arms fully around my waist in a tight embrace, then whispered in a shuddered breath, “Meu calor, meu anjo.”  

I had no idea what he’d just said or even in what language he spoke, but I did, in fact, believe that it wasn’t actually meant for my ears to hear; it was more a verbal musing that wasn’t really meant to be verbal. Edward was certainly proving to be more than I expected, not that that should have surprised me, and I had a feeling he just unknowingly revealed another layer.

0 comments: