Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 12: Method of Secrecy (Teaser)

My mouth dropped open, eyes widening in shock. His answer was not one I expected to hear at all. “What do you mean ‘here’?” I asked incredulously. He continued staring at me, wearing the same expression upon his face. He seemed thoroughly amused by my confusion. “You actually take a bath here?” He shook his head, which only served to confuse me more. “But you just said-”

“Shower, not bath…Bella,” he interrupted, cocking an eyebrow while still wearing that little smirk. My eyes widened further at his statement and facial expression. His reactions proved exactly how much of an enigma he really was. There were many layers to Edward; that much I ascertained.

“But I don’t…How do you...” I paused, running my hands down my face, shaking my head. I was completely stammering my words, thrown by the fact that he actually showered here. I never in a million years expected that, it just didn’t seem probable to me. Yeah, his body didn’t appear dirty so I figured he was able to manage some kind of personal hygiene, and I guess I really didn’t know what I anticipated him to say, but it wasn’t that. “Why…I mean, where do you shower in this place?”

He stared at me, eyes twinkling with intensity as his face shifted through emotions. I was trying to read him, trying to understand what I was seeing behind those green orbs, hoping to understand the reason behind his silence and the look he was giving me. And it dawned on me as his eyes roamed my face that he was doing the same, trying to read me. Was he afraid to tell me?


His eyes finally lowered toward his lap as he whispered, “Where…where I found you.”

0 comments: