Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 5: Puzzle Piece (teaser)

I was completely deadlocked; fear resonated through my entire body, disabling my ability to do anything but breathe in and out almost violently while practically crushing the fabric of the blanket between my fingers.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to be afraid because I’m not going to hurt you. I am, however, surprised you came back; especially to see the lad.”

I dropped the blanket, pivoted slowly on my heels, and flashed my light toward the voice, coming face to face with an elderly gentleman who was probably in his late fifties, early sixties. He had jet black hair with a tinge of gray, dark eyes, a bit on the thin side and rather tall. A person's face, especially their eyes, creates obvious and immediate cues that lead to the formation of an impression, and his told me, along with his smile, that he was good natured; I could feel it.

“W-what do you mean by ‘the lad’?”

He walked over toward the workbench, flicked on the lamp, and placed a grocery bag on top, then faced me once more, smiling as he pointed toward the entryway that led to the room Edward was hiding in. “The lad.”

“You mean…Edward?”

“Edward, heh?” He shook his head, the smile still appreciable. “Did he tell you his name?” I nodded. “After nearly seven years, I finally find out his name. Ah well, better late than never I always say.”

I gasped. “Seven years? What do you mean seven years?”

He nodded; his focus was now on the grocery bag as he removed items inside it. “That’s how long he’s been here.”

“Oh, my God,” I cried, feeling a mix of consternation and anger. “How could you…how could you keep him here, especially that long?”

His hands stilled, and his body went completely stagnant, until he finally turned to face me, wearing a pained expression. “I didn’t keep him here. I found him here.”

0 comments: