Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 8: Meet the Parent (teaser)

I kept my eyes off him as he ate, because the last thing I wanted was for him to be self-conscious around me in any way, but I talked to him, telling him all about the idea Marcus and I came up with so I’d be able to stick around longer. I made sure to include, “Only if you want me to.” at the end of the sentence - which he seemed to. At least, that’s how I interpreted the grunt in response. Sometimes I wondered if he ever tired of me talking so much, but then again, I had to make up conversation for two people. In the end, I guess maybe he didn’t because he’d yet to ask me to stay away. I honestly hoped that day would never come.

Being that Edward presumably was a belated eater, or maybe it was simply because he still wasn’t used to being around someone while eating, even though he’d been doing it for the past week now, he’d just finished when six o’clock rolled around. I glanced up at him when I saw through my peripherals that he was laying his bowl beside him.

“It’s time for me to go, but I’ll be back in the morning.” I grabbed my tote bag, slinging it over my shoulder and stood up, stretching my limbs a little before I walked toward the only exit/entrance in the room.

“I wish-” he paused, as if hesitant to continue what he wanted to say. “I wish…you could stay.”

I stood inches from the door now, unmoving. “I do too.” I bit back the tears that stung the corner of my eyes. “But I’ll be back tomorrow.”

I moved through the doorway, knowing if I stood in that spot any longer or even chanced a look at him, I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to leave, and that was not a possibility right now; I had to leave. I’d barely cleared three steps between me and the doorway when I heard him say, “You…you make it…not hurt so much.”

The tears fell relentless now.

0 comments: