Wednesday, July 28, 2010

TUS Chapter 21 Teaser

I climbed out of Alice’s spare bed - she was still sleeping - and woke her up, telling her I was going home. She mumbled in response, then rolled back on her stomach, burying her face in her pillow. I could have stayed a bit longer, but I really just wanted to get home, shower and go to the hospital.

I closed the door softly behind me when I entered my house. I was pretty sure Emmett was still asleep, but I didn’t know about Charlie. He’d mentioned going fishing today, so I half expected him to be gone when I got home, but his car was still in the driveway.

I moved up the stairs quietly toward my room, but nearly jumped out of my skin when Emmett threw his bedroom door open, smiling widely when he saw that he’d startled me.

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost, Sis,” he teased.

I glared at him. “Real funny, Emmett. You just scared me half to death.”

“I wasn’t trying to,” he laughed. “Why were you sneaking in, anyway?”

“I thought you were asleep,” I explained. “I didn’t want to wake you up.”

I moved around him, wanting to kick him in the leg or punch him because he stood there laughing at me. I was pushing my bedroom door open, ready to walk inside, when he spoke again.

“Don’t forget, five o’clock.”

The sounds of his heavy feet - which clearly showed there was extra pep in his step - hitting the wooden floor reverberated through the hallway, but his footing stopped short when I spun around on my heels, completely confused by what he meant, and said, “What are you talking about?”

He turned around, his forehead creased as he stared at me, apparently puzzled as to why I had no idea what he was talking about. “The concert, Bella. Remember, you’re going with Mike?

0 comments: